Tornadoes and Sermons


All of us who watched were devastated as we watched the tornadoes rip through Moore, OK in May 2013.  I'm from OKC and I love that city, and I had family members and friends who lost houses in that storm.  I'm blessed to be a part of a church that mobilized volunteers to go up and help several times, even putting in extra hours to finish a local mission project so we could go back up to Moore to serve.  Baptist disaster relief has a great effort they have put in and have already given out over a million dollars in cash, and untold numbers of hours towards relief.  

As a pastor, I changed what I was going to preach at our upcoming services, trying to grasp where God was in the midst of these storms, and how we can worship Him in the middle of it all.  Wrestling with what scripture tells us while dealing with tragedy is part of every pastor's job, but these storms hit close to home for many pastors.

I have many friends and family in OKC, including pastor and churches, and a couple of weeks after the storms I went to listen to the sermons they shared with their congregations. One pastor, Andrew of Love and Justice church, lost his house in the storm.  Mark from Capitol Hill had many church members lose homes, face tragedy and more.  I am only tangentially familiar with Frontline, but I know they headed up a great effort after the storms still going on at www.servemoore.com, and I had a chance to work with their group.

Take a moment and listen to these sermons from these men who love God dearly and the people in their congregations as well.  They have different styles, but all love God dearly.  Listen and be encouraged.  





Comments

Popular Posts